I have learned that without taking the time to reflect and learn from experiences, you miss out on a huge opportunity for growth, and also a chance to stop and appreciate the positive things that have happened. Here is my year in review, and what I plan for the next year.
Accomplishments/Reflections on 2015:
– Even though things were going well, I felt a bit aimless and without clear direction around 1 year ago
– Like every year, I have made great progress at becoming a better, wiser, more confident person
– Proud of the things I did to intentionally accomplish those things
– Created a more intentional personal brand, and also a stronger business brand (people are formally referring it by acronym, score!)
– Launched a podcast
– Got a ton better at sales, networking, marketing, organization, project management, hiring, management, etc. Got better at pretty much everything business related.
– Learned enough brazillian Juijitsui to be able to tap out purple belts
– Hit 195 lbs (mostly muscle) while increasing bench/squat/deadlift by 30-50%
– Got no’s for like 100 awesome things, such as pitching Seth Godin (and also yes’s to a lot of awesome audacious things too)
– Team grew by 100% (and another 100% soon) and this corresponded with about 150% growth in revenue
In a nutshell, I am happy that I grew a ton (by failing a ton, woo!), and feel like I finally made the formal transition away from a just getting started, “do random things” entrepreneur, to one with a clear plan, direction, and focus, who makes consistent progress.
– Invest in myself least 70k /year (Interestingly, this relates more to asset allocation than to an actual increase in revenue – I tend to live simply and invest 100% in my business, but this year I want to invest a bit more in my personal growth and happiness)
– Fulfilment of client services 100% automated, sales 75% automated
– <20 hours/week of “grinding” work, rest of time on “growth” or “inspired” work
– Grow email list to 10k subscribers
– Work with at least 1-3 “slightly famous” clients on their courses
– Connect (and help if possible, even for free) with at least 3 “legit famous” entrepreneurs. Example, Seth Godin, Russell Brunson, Leo Baboata, etc.
Bucket List Items:
– Learn how to use a DJ table and make my own edm/dubstep remix that I can work to
– Compete in an official arts match (probably MMA or BJJ)
– Apply to speak at TedX in at least 2 locations
– Finally get rid of persistent back/neck pain that I’ve had since 14 (lots of progress but still a ways to go)
– Go one week without complaining or experiencing significant anxiety (I stress about stuff more than I would like)
– Grow to the point I can confidently say I exhibit all of these strengths on at least a semi-regular basis (by practicing the ones I suck at): http://www.reconnect.salvos.org.au/strengthspicture.jpg
– Become conversationally fluent in Spanish
– Become not terrible at singing – criteria is to not be embarassed to sing in public
– Learn hip hop dancing/b-boying
– Adjust schedule so that I can consistently work out 3 times/week without feeling rushed, stressed, or work out
– 30 minutes meditation daily (never falling off track for more than a week)
– Visit Colombia, Cuba, and Brasil (there will probably be more but that is the starting list)
– Capoiera and BJJ in Brasil
– Salsa in Colombia and Cuba
Now your turn! What is your #1 biggest lesson learned from the past year? The number one thing you are most excited about for the next year?